5 things I love about Warsaw School of Economics

Warsaw School of Economics

Some time ago I wrote a post about students in Poland. As you probably already know, I’m a student of two universities: Warsaw School of Economics (SGH, where I study International Economics) and University of Warsaw (Law). It’s definitely SGH that I call MY university, even though I’m almost an alumni there. Despite all the flaws that SGH has, I’m really glad that that was the uni I picked and I’m happy that I could spend 5 years there that had such a huge impact on my life.


I know that a lot of you are planning to go on Erasmus in Poland so I decided I’ll make a couple of posts about polish universities to make your choice easier.



Warsaw School of Economics

Community
To be honest I started fully appreciating the atmosphere that students create at SGH when I started my studies at the University of Warsaw. There’s a huge difference between both schools. I don’t want to sound too pushy saying things like ‘SGH students are awesome people’ or something like that but it really feels like studying on two completely different planets. From my perspective, SGH students are more open-minded, devoting plenty of time to extra activities in students’ organizations. That’s actually what distinguishes them from others – we’re self-starter, career-oriented, smart and enterprising. With so much going on all the time, it’s easy to feel like home and be a part of the community.   

Main Hall
We call it spadochron which means parachute and that’s because of the one of a kind ceiling. Spadochron is the vibrant soul of the university and it’s always crowded as all the events, social meetings and fairs take place here. You always know that this is where you find all of your friends, listen to a music, have a free snack and coffee (huge shout-out to all the corporations that feed students!), play FIFA, meet your future employer and generally have a lot of fun. Welcome to SGH.

Warsaw School of Economics


Students’ organizations
SGH is famous for its numerous students’ associations concerning marketing, finance, negotiations, Japan culture, business, you name it. We even have a theater, tourist club, and a choir. And also a folk dance club. There’s actually more than 80 of them. It’s probably a really challenging task to find a student who was not a member of at least one of them. This is where we develop our soft skills and gain experience working in small groups, organizing hundreds of different events, dealing with red tape and corporate partners. This practical side of studying is one of the SGH graduates’ features mostly appreciated by the employers.

International students
I don’t mean only Erasmus or bilateral exchange students, but all the regular ones who came to Warsaw from Georgia, Vietnam, Hungary, Ukraine and many other exotic countries. They always amaze me with their language skills because some of them speak fluent Polish after just a few months of their stay (!!) and they even decide to study in Polish later on.

Warsaw School of Economics

Languages
During the bachelor degree we all have two compulsory language courses (4h per week each) and one on master level. The most popular ones are of course English and German, but there are also Spanish, French, Russian and Italian. SGH is famous for its genius German teachers and generally German is all students’ nightmare. This is why it’s sometimes called Warsaw School of German. All the courses focus on business language and that’s why sometimes after 2 years it’s easier for us to talk about latest currency fluctuations rather than the weather in a foreign language. I must admit that these mandatory language courses are something that I appreciated the most.

Warsaw School of Economics

If you think about going to Erasmus of any polish university, I’ll be glad to answer your question. I strongly recommend my SGH, especially if you study economy, finance or marketing. Here you can have a virtual walk around my university campus. 


Source of photos: https://www.facebook.com/SGHwarsaw/

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment